Saturday, June 26, 2010

6/26/2010 - Milton, VT

Date of hunt: 6/26/2010
Location: Devino Farm
Weather: Wet
Temperature: 67 °F (Start) 67°F (End)
Dogs of mine: Belvidere Bailey & Wild Seasons Mountain Snickers
# of Rabbits Ran: 1

I should have just stayed home. I couldn't get the dogs to hunt for anything. When I say "hunt" I mean have the dogs find the rabbits themselves, not me. They would not leave my side and kept coming back to make sure I was still there. Shouldn't a good dog hunt on their own! Bailey was the only one that would do a little work. Snickers just stood around waiting for Bailey to start barking.

Bailey did get a start, but I think it was a baby cottontail by the way she ran it. It zig zagged around inside a thicket that was about a 20 yard circle. She kept loosing it, it never busted out onto roads, and Snickers only barked on it once. I've found that Bailey has the stronger nose. She picked at it for about 20 minutes before loosing out on it.

Hunts like this really make me question whether or not I want to waste my time anymore. Maybe I should get rid of them and start over in a few years when my kids are older and I might have some extra time.

No comments:

Post a Comment