Sunday, September 26, 2010

9/25/2010 - Lowell, VT

Date of hunt: 9/25/2010
Location: Doug Duffy's
Weather: Sunny
Temperature: 71 °F (Start) 62°F (End)
Companions: Allen Cushing, Beau Cushing, Logan Abell, Carter Abell
Dogs of mine: Belvidere Bailey & Wild Seasons Mountain Snickers
# of Rabbits Ran: 3
# of Rabbits Shot: 0

Today was opening day of rabbit season in Vermont. I kicked myself last year for not getting some family together to take advantage of opening weekend. Deer season doesn't start until next weekend so this weekend works about best for the rest of my family. I had my father-in-law Allen, my brother-in-law Beau, my 12 year old brother Logan and my 5 year old son Carter with me. We were up early and managed to leave Milton on time, 5:30. We pulled into our spot by 6:30 and geared up the dogs. I haven't had many chances to get out this summer, the dogs are out of shape, and I was nervous that I was going to let the family down on this outing. I brought the dogs down to a known spot that I have ran hare in before with hopes to get a quick start. It took a lot of looking, but Bailey got the first start. She ran the hare that I got nervous with on opening day (Bailey was sounding funny, and the hare ran into unfamiliar territory). I let the dogs go and just prayed that they would take the turn and head back my way. It wasn't long and the dogs were coming back our way. Beau was new to this and wasn't quite sure where to stand, or what he was looking for. He was on a logging road, and ready. Carter was with Allen and they found a spot to stand as well. I was with Logan with the video camera rolling with hopes of getting some good footage. The dogs came down the edge of the road towards all of us. They stay inside the wood line about 40 yards and Logan and I didn't get a sighting. They came out along the edge of the road and Beau saw the dogs, but had missed seeing the rabbit. It changed directions before making it back to Allen and Carter and swung back up away from us and ran a lot of circles above us. We tried to move in closer, but by the time we were in position the dogs checked. During their check the dogs made their way out to us. I called them in to try and pick up a different hare in a different spot.
On the walk past the truck we stopped and had some snacks and drinks and added some layers as the temperature was dropping. We headed down to the lower clear cut and Bailey was working hard to find a hare. Snickers was working hard to find Bailey, and had no interest in finding the hare herself. I lost Snickers for a bit and soon realized that she was hanging out with Bruce and his bird dogs. They were swinging by in their search for some opening day Partridge. I hollared for a while, but Snickers wouldn't come. Bailey opened on a new hare and Snickers came by me like a rocket to cherry pick Bailey's hare. The race was on again with Bailey in the lead. I could hear that Bailey was always ahead of Snickers. They checked for a short time, and when Bailey got the check it must had been a sight chase. She barked really hot for about 30 or 40 yards and then it calmed down as she kept on the trail and Snickers caught up to join in. The brought the hare down behind me, but towards Allen and I heard a shot from his .410. He missed, and before I knew the dogs ran right behind me and Carter. I missed seeing the hare while filming the hunt. Carter and I went over to talk with Allen and waited for a second sighting. The hare came back by Allen and I in a full gallop. I shot, and missed to the shot from about 4 feet away. Allen's follow-up shot missed as well and the race continued. The dogs were about 30 yards behind the rabbit and running very well. They ran a lot of small circles up above us and the hare didn't want to come back down to us. Once more it came down in our direction, but didn't give us a sighting. After running for about 2 1/2 hours the dogs checked for their last time and lost out. I was extremely happy with their run.
We headed back up towards the truck and I let the dogs work the woods on the way. Bailey got the third start on a rabbit the we must have spooked out the brush as we were walking through. The two of them were run very hot and fast out across the clearcut and into the pines. We fanned out and hoped to get it on the way back up. It started to turn back up towards us and I was ready. They took a turn out away from me and started to go out of hearing. I wasn't sure what was going on, but decided to take chase to be sure. They managed to make it out deep into the alders and were running a choppy run. I called to them and finally caught up to them after a long walk through the thick stuff. It was faster to continue through the alders instead of back tracking from where I came. Once I hit the logging road I was once again in familiar territory and headed comfortably back to the truck. Everyone was waiting in the truck ready to go when I got there. We left at 12:30.
We had an excellent hunt and I was very proud of the dogs. Allen can't wait to go back out, and I hope our calendars can align again to allow for it. I wish I knew when the next outing will be, but I will have to play it by ear.


No comments:

Post a Comment