Tuesday, March 8, 2011

3/5/2011 - Milton, VT

Date of hunt: 3/5/2011
Location: Milton, VT
Weather: Overcast/Windy
Temperature: 36°F (Start) 41°F (End)
Dogs of mine: Belvidere Bailey & Wild Seasons Mountain Snickers
Hunting partners: Logan Abell, Chris Smith
# of Rabbits Ran: 1
# of Rabbits Shot: 0

I've been trying to find some people to hunt rabbits with and gave a long time friend a call to see if he was interested. Chris said that enjoys trying different types of hunt and would like to try rabbit hunting. I picked him up a little after 7 and headed about 5 minutes down the road to my new hare honey hole. Logan, Chris and I geared up for the cold, windy walk across the fields to the softwoods. The dogs were yanking on the lead to be let loose, and we finally made it out to the softwoods with high hopes. The dogs started to work while Chris, Logan and I were talking about anything and everything. I was listening to Chris and caught a flash of white about 50 yards out over his left shoulder. I ran as fast as one can run on snowshoes on soft snow to where I saw what I was hoping was a hare. Snickers picked up the scent first as she followed me to where the sighting was. She worked it backwards for about 5 yards and Bailey was quickly there to help her out. Snickers quickly figured out she was going the wrong way and went to the other end of where she started. Once Bailey figured out why Snickers went the other direction she took the lead and lead Snickers slowly out away from us. I explained how the run "should" work and Logan and I went one direciton while Chris set up where the start was. The hare took the dogs out 360 yards (per the GPS) in a straight line before making its turn. The turn was tight and the swung high into the thinner softwoods which surprised me. Logan and I shifted our position to compensate for the reverse circle that we were expecting and waited. The first check was long and as the run continued it turned into short runs with frequent checks. I decided to bring the dogs out to another covey with hopes that we could get a good run going. Chris already began to comment on how great it is to hear the dogs barking and how he was already hooked. He was also upset that I chose to invite him out on the second to last weekend, and he would have to wait until the end of September to go out again.

We headed towards another balsam thicket and realized that Bailey was not with us. The GPS confirmed that she went back to work her last check. She responded to my calling and we continued to trudge through the snow as she worked to catch up. A few minutes later and the GPS showed that Bailey was once again heading back to her last check. I called again and she headed my direction, again. She didn't make it far before her stubborn head got the best of her and she once again was heading the opposite direction towards the check. I decided to try a different approach and have Snickers get a hare going in the new location. If she could get one started Bailey would pack up and join in. She was only 200 yards out and working the area quite intensely by the looks of it. Snickers was looking very hard, and I wasn't seeing any fresh tracks. I kept walking around hoping to find some fresh tracks. My calls to Bailey went unanswered and my search for fresh tracks continued. Snickers was searching, but wouldn't range out more than 15 yards from me. I started finding fresh tracks and really wanted Bailey to be there with her strong nose to get the start going. The problem was that my venture to find a fresh track took my out so Bailey was now 700 yards away from me. My calls were unheard and Snickers, although excited on some tracks, didn't find anything hot enough for her to bark on. Chris checked in and commented on the impressive amount of rabbit sign, all I needed was Bailey. It was a long walk through the deep snow to go get her so I was resistant. I started to walk towards her and started to see a reponse to my calling once I got withing 500 yards of her. She was almost 200 yards from me before she turned and made her way back to the check, again. AGH! I figured by the time I walk all the way to Bailey and then back we would not make it out of the woods by 11. Plans for the remainder of the day kept the hunt short.

This Sunday is the last day of the season and am competing in the Orleans County Rod & Gun Club Hare Derby. The problem is the 28" of snow that fell yesterday. Hopefully the warm weather, rain and snow that are coming later this week will help pack down the snow to allow for some good running. The forecast for temperature on Sunday is in the 40's, which I am discouraged about. I've found that the dogs have a hard time running on snow in this temperature. Maybe it’s the scent melting out from under them, maybe it’s the dogs, either way it is tough running. Here goes nothing…..

No comments:

Post a Comment