Monday, August 1, 2011

Mid Summer Update

If I had to sit back and summarize my life I could put my life into 3 categories; family, rabbit hunting, and work. In that order too. My family comes first. I am willing to give up the prime running conditions of an early Saturday or Sunday morning to wake up to have my family excited that I don't have to work. I am also willing to give up running on a cool evening after a soft rain to spend time as a family after a busy weekend. Work is a requirement and family is my priority.
This summer has provided a few good outings with the dogs and I look forward to more. I have taken Bailey out solo twice with good luck. The last few outings have been with both dogs, but Snickers is aging and it shows. She is almost 11 and is showing her age. The rabbits that we have ran during the last few outings have resulted in Snickers dropping out and Bailey running solo.
The latest run was out in Grand Isle and have ran cottontail there before. I wanted a place close to home that I could bring a contractor from work visiting from New York out instead of him hanging out in his hotel room for the evening. We cast the dogs and within 5 minutes Bailey had a start. She ran it fast and straight and was soon out of hearing. I was nervous that it was deer and lost contact with her on the GPS after 850 yards. We got in the truck to cut her off but watched the GPS show that she made the turn and was heading back towards the point of the start. Mike saw the hare and commented that it was almost as big as Bailey. The total run was 1.7 miles long, and the point of the turn was .7 miles from the start. A very large run!
Here is a video of the downloaded track from the GPS overlaid on the satelite picture of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment