Tuesday, October 27, 2009

10/25/2009 - Lowell, VT

Date of hunt: 10/25/2009
Location: Doug Duffy's
Weather: Sunny
Temperature: 45 °F (Start) 47 °F (End)
Companions: Logan Abell
Dogs of mine: Bailey & Remi
# of Rabbits Ran: 5
# of Rabbits Shot: 1

It turned out to be a really nice day, as the day before was full of rain. I was nervous, looking back I am nervous about a lot of things, but I was nervous today because it was opening weekend of anterless-only moose season. We pulled into the pulloff a little before 7 with the expectation that I would find a couple of trucks there as well. That was not the case, we were alone. I did notice some new Posted signs, and am wondering what the future holds for our hunting spot. Until then I plan on enjoying every hunt when I can get it. We actually waited in the truck for about 10 minutes waiting for daylight to break. Logan fell back asleep again, he woke up briefly when we got there and was able to fall back asleep during the idle time. Once there was enough light we geared up the dogs and made our way down the four wheeler trail. I was hoping to kick up the rabbit that we ran with Dad and Logan last time we were there. Bailey found it first and got the start. She ran it alone for about 40 yards before Remi joined in on the hunt, and a hunt it was! It started out rough and Logan and I ventured down in towards the dogs to help them out. Once the run was going again they did not let up! The rabbit swung up across the 4 wheeler trail and we waited for it come back down where it started. It made a bunch of small swings up above and I didn't think it was coming back down. We went up and set up. I caught a glimpse of it and had Logan ready. It didn't come out in the opening and the dogs kept it going. We waited for it to come around again. It didn't. It changed its swing and ran really tight circles even further above us. We moved in again and I caught another glimpse of it, it still didn't cooperate for Logan, and while we were looking forward it ran behind us. We waited for it come back, and of course it crossed to the lower side of the 4 wheeler trail. It did come back up to us and again I saw it and got Logan ready. It skirted around us again without being seen and the dogs kept running it hard. We set up again with hopes of getting a good view of it this time and the rabbit went down below the 4 wheeler trail again. We were closer to the trail at this point and decided to stand on the trail and wait for it to cross again. As the dogs brought it back up to the trail Logan and I must have turned it as it never crossed and it turned back down. This time the dogs lost it and checked for about 10 minutes. Remi came out onto the trail first and I could hear Bailey not to far off in the brush. I called for her and we went looking for another rabbit. That was a great run and lasted about an hour and a half. At that point that was the longest run the dogs have ever ran!
We worked for about an hour and a half looking for a rabbit before we actually got one going. We worked across the power line where Logan and I shot a rabbit last year and found nothing. We went back up the 4 wheeler trail a little bit and Bailey got the start. The two of them took that rabbit out of hearing and Logan and I ventured in the direction where we last heard them. We found ourselves in familiar territory when we started hearing the dogs again. We were in the softwoods where we saw the rabbit last year jump through the hole in the up rooted tree. We couldn't get into position in time before the dogs lost it.
Remi got the next start and it ran right by the big popul tree that we have stood by a few times. The rabbit ran along the back side of the cut and we were ready for it to come back to us. It never did. When got out near the NC camp the rabbit started to run a different circle, must have been a different rabbit. We made our way over to that run when we ran into Bruce and Sue Buckley again. We talked for a while and Sue commented on the music the dogs were making. At that point the dogs had checked and were not running. We talked for a while and after their departure we made our way in the direction of the last bark. I called them in and Bailey picked up the check and ran the rabbit right by me. I called to Logan to shoot but he couldn't see it, so I shot, twice, missed. They ran it by the popul tree again. We waited for them to come back to us. Logan saw the rabbit first, but didn't shoot. I did, 3 times, and missed all of them. When the dogs come down through they were actually running a smaller rabbit, about 10 yards off from the line that the rabbit I shot at ran. The circles turned small again out in the thick stuff. That confirmed that they ran two different rabbits. The small circles continued out in the thick alders and it made it real tough to get any sightings of the rabbit. I made the decision to get aggressive and Logan was game for that. We B-Lined it through the alders to a small patch of tall softwoods. We saw the rabbit once and no shot. The dogs brought it back to us again but when it ran by it stayed in the thick stuff and I didn't shoot. When the dogs brought it around again the rabbit poked its head out from behind a stump and "click", I never chambered a shell after that last round of shooting. I chambered a shell that was in the magazine and the made the rabbit bust out, I shot twice, and connected on the second. Thank God, that was my last round! It is fun to hunt with a .410, but a bit pricey for the ammo. Remi and Bailey came in Remi finished it off. She did not want to give up the rabbit. I leashed up the dogs, and Logan carried out the rabbit. Another hour and a half plus run, that would be there longest run to date! We made our way back up to the truck and cut acoss the Buckley's camp lawn. They came out and took pictures and we exchanged contact information. We bid our farewells and got to the truck at 1.
When I got home the dogs were tired. Bailey ran to the dog pen for water, but Remi stayed behind at the truck. I managed to convince her to only take 2 steps. I ended up carrying her to the pen, she didn't fight it at all. I successfully managed to tire out the dogs! What a great day! Logan loved it, and I am thankful to have such a great hunting partner! Thanks bud!





No comments:

Post a Comment