Saturday, October 3, 2009

9/27/2008 - Island Pond, VT

Date of hunt: 9/27/2008
Location: Picnic Area
Weather: Overcast
Temperature 66 °F (Start)
Dogs of mine: Bailey
Running Partners: Lanny Forgays, Dean Decker, Danny Christianson, Craig Bannister
Other Dogs: Bam, Sassy, Rose, Mercy
# of Rabbits Ran: 3
# of Rabbits 2

Story of the hunt:
Dean jumped the first rabbit on the way in. He put Sassy on it and the 5 females took off together. They ran it solid and tight. Bailey was right tight in the mix. The rabbit ran by Dean, he shot, missed. I made my way up to Dean thinking that he shot it, I wanted to see Bailey's reaction to the rabbit. I stayed up there and managed to get a shot as it crossed the moose trail, missed the first but connected on the second. Brought the dead rabbit and the dogs up to the road as Craig saw a stray cross the road while the dogs were running the first one. Dean finally got the dogs on the track. They circled it once and then it jumped out across the road. Craig shot it with his muzzleloader shotgun. Brought the dogs back down on the lower side of the road and the got one going way down by the 4 corners. It was really thick in there. I made my way down in to a valley where the dogs had gone through with the rabbit once already. Dean was up on top a bit more, shot a partridge. The dogs were coming towards me and a rabbit ran out, directly at me. I shot, missed. Ended up to be a stray. The dogs circled. Dogs were getting close again, got ready. Dogs got closer and closer, they came down about 10 feet from me and turned back. The rabbit came up behind me, didn't notice. Dogs circled again. Dogs were coming back and the rabbit ran through the valley so fast it was a blur. Got a shot off, but missed. The rabbit straightlined it across the road and .6 miles (per GPS) through thick growing clearcuts. We managed to get out there and get the dogs back. Took a good 2 hours. Exhausted, made our way back to camp. 5:30.






No comments:

Post a Comment